Hi Warren,

When Olivia first became somewhat popular, it
was "mode of the month"... there was a lot of
experimentation with tones and bandwidths.
Operators found advantages for various conditions
and needs, with extremes of each flavor.

The 2000/64 is quite good for interference
rejection. We used it on 40 metres to work
through strong shortwave AM broadcast stations
that used to be around 7105-7125 kHz. You can QSO with
Olivia 2000/64 signals in the midst of S9+ broadcast
music interference, without using a narrow passband
filter. Just tune your VFO dial to about 500Hz
above the broadcast station's carrier frequency.
Not many digi modes are capable of that level of
performance, even with a lot of help from narrow filters.

But, the 500Hz 16-tone flavor of Olivia ended up
becoming popular... not really because of its technical
superiority over the other flavors... it is mainly
because it is the best compromise for weak signal and
fast enough keyboarding speed, and still fits within
the IARU regions' bandplans 500Hz bandwidth segments.
Operating near where RTTY/PSK/other modes are normally
found increases the chances for random QSOs and

73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

> K5WGM Warren wrote:
> has anyone tryied to push the max tones to 256,
> like 2000/256?> What is the SNR on that I wonder?

./