I have decided that I will not be a part of HF Link,  in the formal
sense.  Many members of the Yahoo group HFlink have been helpful over
the years and Steve especially has  been of tremendous help to all.
However, I have concluded that the rigid control and moderation of
that group, have contributed to the failure of ALE to take hold as an
effective method of  amateur radio communication.  Despite years of
efforts, ALE remains perhaps the least used method of ham radio
contact management, and is regularly used by less than 75 hams
world-wide.  I know of no other amateur radio method that is dependent
solely on one group , and that one group has such prohibitive
practices that it essentially dictates terms. The copyright policy of
the HF Link group is directly contributing to a lack of openness that
is rarely seen in the amateur radio world.   PSK and digital modes
have many organizations and email lists, CW has lots of groups,
SSB-phone a zillion clubs, RACES/ARES accepts a wider choices of
systems, weak signals modes like JT65A have varying groups, but ALE on
hams bands remains centralized via HF link.   Winmor has tight control
on the software but is generally open to input and openly allows
dissent. ALE should be allowed to flourish in an "open market" where
hams take the idea and help it evolve and succeed.  Steve and Charles
Brain have made huge contributions but the warehousing of it via HF
link have reduced it to a little understood concept .  I will continue
to use ALE both PC-ALE and Multipsk . but no longer associate with HF
Link.  I have raised this matter before , and have received
constructive comments the suggest that the "control" is to prevent
"ALE bashing"  .  I think that there  is not a lot to "bash" about
ALE...it is a very effective system, However the protectionism
exhibited by HF Link has harmed ALE more than the occasional ALE
bashing would ever do.  So, the problems of  "busy detect" and
unattended operation notwithstanding, I will remain an advocate of ALE
and hope others will help it get rid of its shackles.  Heck , lets get
rid of ALE as an "emcomm " concept , it isn't really (it could be ,
one day).  ALE might be more "sellable" as a DXing method or net
control software!

Andy K3UK