Andy I am both frequent another forum that is CW based. The subject came up
over the weekend about a two tone mode in the vicinity of 14077 kHz. Andy
pointed out it was probably JT65A. The other commenter found it annoying with
two other CW signals in the bandpass.

I almost jumped into the discussion, but held back. I think the commenter was
inferring the digital signal was interfering with the CW signals. It all
depends on who was there first. Also it wasn't certain that the two CW ops and
the digital ops could hear each other, although the commenter could hear all
three.

I think sound card mode ops can easily look for nearby signals, on the
waterfall, for the period of a few minutes to get an idea of the activity. The
same is not true for CW ops if they have narrow filters. Some rigs have dual
peak filters for RTTY. There could be a signal in between the filter peaks and
the op could never hear a signal in between.

A couple years ago, I answered a local buddy calling CQ on 40 meter PSK31.
After the QSO, one op made a scathing comment about his qso in progress being
qrm'ed. I didn't reply. From my perspective, I had heard a CQ and answered it.
My local buddy should have heard the other qso as well. I did email the guy and
apologized.

It is much easier for the CW op to hear other signals when they are running
full or semi breakin. Digital ops don't have that luxury, as we transmit a few
minutes on and few minutes, depending on the speed. Perhaps TOR mode ops could
hear other signal between the bursts, if they are not automated. CW ops usually
call QRL? to see if the frequency is in use. How do digi ops do that? How does
the digi op reply to a CW QRL? query?

There will always be QRM, even with the best of intentions. We should try to
minimize as much as possible. I operate both digital and CW and don't see an
easy answer.

73,

Steve N6VL