Don't recall just when it came out but -

Biggest problem with it was finding someone to have a QSO with.
Once you did the link was very good. I think it was also used
by a lot of the early BBS stations. Of course that was the problem
with  any ARQ mode that came along. Back in 1977 or so
when you friend Alen  come along with AMTOR that really
was the 1st widely used ARQ mode. Very few could part
with the $300 U.S. dollars for the kit. Sitting over in a
cord board box in the storage area is AMTOR kit # 314.

I recall at the time having never worked so many G stations
the entire time that I had been a ham. And as they say
the rest is history.

John, W0JAB