As I previously predicted, an FCC agent has
interpreted FCC Rules, saying ROS is Spread Spectrum.
ARRL staff have also done the same.

In the FCC response to an inquiry
initiated by Timothy J. Lilley - N3TL,
The FCC Agent 3820 stated this:

""ROS" is viewed as "spread spectrum," and the creator
of the system describes it as that.  We assume that
he knows what he created."

That statement by FCC Agent 3820 is all any ham
in USA needs to know. Use ROS on HF, and you risk
fines for breaking the FCC Rules.

There is now only 4 options, for USA hams who still
want to use ROS on HF bands:

1. Operate ROS... knowing that you are breaking the
FCC Rules, and roll the dice, hoping you don't get caught.

2. Go on an uphill battle to change the FCC Rules, and
possibly win or lose after a year or more of legal work.

3. When the FCC sends you an enforcement letter
"Notice of Apparent Liability", and asks you to
show cause or risk citation and/or payment
of fine, simply tell the FCC "please forgive me,
I didn't know it is illegal to use Spread Spectrum
on HF, and honestly I won't do it again."

Several years ago, I started writing about how hams
in USA are falling behind in technology due to
antiquated FCC rules. I pointed to several excellent
modes and methods of operation that USA hams don't
have the freedom to use, but hams in most other countries
are at liberty to use. This situation is all due to
FCC rules that were forged in the 20th century and
based upon old methods of using radio.

Boxed-in by early limitations, there is no way to
think out of the box. Some hams laughed and said:
"PSK31 and RTTY is all we need; why should we care?
Why should we want to use any new modes?"

Well, USA hams... Welcome to our Technology Jail!

Best Wishes,
Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA