--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hensley <kc9...@...> wrote:

> Be careful with scanning the Illinois State Police systems in Illinois, while
> on the Illinois side of the border! Rep. Dan Brady has brought forth
> legislation that is very blurry and at the end of the proposed law states to
> the effect that "Access to the Illinois State Police Radio System is by
> written authorization of the originator of the broadcast."
>
> This proposal does not define what "access" for these purposes means. I, and
> others are hoping this is only to keep unauthorized transmissions off of the
> system and not to ban scanning the system altogether.

Actually, the proposal does define "access" quite specifically to mean
obtaining any transceiver that can transmit on the system without authorization.

> CARMA (Chicago Area Radio Monitoring Association) has posted their public
> reply to Dan Brady on their site, and has pointed out that there are already
> sufficient laws to take care of the things that Dan Brady is pursuing. The
> overall tone of the bill seems to be to end internet re-broadcasts of the
> Starcom21 system, but again, the bill goes into very confusing language as it
> gets to the middle and end of the bill. If it passes, it will be dangerous
> precedent for us all.

The language is only "confusing" if one is searching for anti-scanner
motivations.  There are none, and Internet rebroadcasting is not mentioned at
all in there.

73 de Dave, NF2G