On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 08:00 -0600, Ruven E Brooks wrote:

[ . . . ]

> If you've got no historical data, a much better bet is to get a group
> of people to give estimates.   As well as code writers,

[ . . . ]

It is very noticeable that Physicists (possibly also Chemists,
Biologists and Mathematicians but I have no data :-) generally have
formal courses on estimation -- I know I did as a student, and I tutored
on such courses at a number of other universities.

It never ceases to amaze me that groups of 4 or 5 people can, based on
knowledge of the world and various formulae from physics generally come
up with very good estimates for quite bizarre numbers -- for example the
rate of growth of a blade of grass in molecules per mega-fortnight.

Part of the accuracy is clearly attributable to it being a group
activity, though it does rely on good knowlege.  What the whole activity
does do is give people the confidence to "guess" with confidence -- as
opposed to putting random numbers into a project management tool and
expecting it to give the right answer.

Clearly estimation of phenomena in the world is more deterministic that
estimation of the cognitive and inspirational activity that is software
development but I wonder if courses on estimation would help software
budgeting and planning.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                +44 20 7585 2200