An alternative paper is

Scaffolding with Object Diagrams in
First Year Programming Classes:
Some Unexpected Results
Lynda Thomas, Mark Ratcliffe and Benjy Thomasson
from SIGCSE 2004

doing an invention study on the effect of introducing object-diagrams
and the students performance in an intro prog. course. From the
abstract:

Although generally students who draw diagrams do better in questions
that
test their understanding of code behaviour and object referencing,
our intervention does not appear to have helped students and the
students who were exposed to the intervention were not more
likely to go on to use the technique themselves

/Jens Bennedsen