Ruven E Brooks wrote:
Yes, I am really asking the question, why try to teach children programming?
Walter Milner questions, as do I, whether there is any general benefit in other areas to teaching programming. Yishay Mor gives some references to work that shows that doing programming exercises can help children learn mathematics. Is that because there's something special about programming or just because it meant children were spending extra time on mathematics? I would very much like to have seen a control condition in which, instead of learning ToonTalk, children learned Latin by studying texts about motion and sequences. I wonder whether they might have done even better on the mathematics than the ToonTalk group.

Walter Milner wrote:
A possible answer would be that it does something which has a positive transfer to other areas - and that there is no evidence that it does, or It produces better commercial programmers whne they grow up - again no evidence

When I demonstrate to my 5-year-old how the phases of the moon change, or how an automatic ice maker works, or we watch how a spider catches flies, I don't follow up with a math test to see if there was transfer. When I teach him how to ride a bicycle it is not so that he'll grow up to be a better commercial programmer. I have no idea what impact any one specific activity will have on him in the long run. Rather, I trust it is good. I take pleasure in seeing him learn something, gain an appreciation for life, see what he can accomplish, become interested in things, to have fun!

We play around with math too, for the same reasons.

Why shouldn't programming be included in the mix of experiences a child has?

My philosophy in creating HANDS was to inspire children to see the possibilities, to become empowered to use computers like the majority cannot, maybe to strive to do more with them someday, and hopefully to have fun.

Peter ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
From my (limited) knowledge of child psychology I wouldn't want to
try and teach anyone under the age of about 12-13 programming, because you'd end up having to use a very constrained concepts and programming techniques, and more or less run into a brick wall in some areas until their mental development advances.

In my thesis research I had some success teaching 10-year-olds to program. Recently my 5-year-old has showed interest after climbing on my lap while I was checking out Scratch. It remains to be seen what he might learn in the near future, but as long as he's interested I will not let my limited knowledge of child psychology get in the way. :-)

John