Let me elaborate a bit on my original request.

1.  I'm assuming that most or all of the previous developers/architects of
the system
are unavailable.  All that's left are the artifacts, code plus whatever
else.  There's no one
to talk to about where to start, etc. or about the overall structure.

2. Imagine that, instead of being a new chief architect, that the plan is
to replace 20% of the
developers on the project every year but not to increase staffing levels
by 20% (which is what
would be required with the current methods of getting people up to speed.)

3. I didn't rule out active discovery of content.  In fact, that's what
people do today in our organization;
they look at the code and analyze the code, using tools of varying degrees
of sophistication.
The problem is, it's terribly time consuming, and the same discovery
process has to be repeated by
each new team member; that's what takes the 6-12 months - "active"
discovery of content.
I'd like to jump start or shortcut the process.

[I note that In educational theory, "active" learning doesn't mean that
you put the students on a desert island and
expect them to actively discover particle physics; it means that you
carefully set up situations in which
the students participate that enable them to learn.   I can think of
equivalents for learning a large
piece of software, but developing them requires even more work than
writing the 20 page document.]

Ruven