On 21 Jun 2010, at 23:36, Richard Stonehouse wrote:

> I'm trying to build the latest stable GNUstep - using make version
> 2.4.0 and base version 1.20.0 (and also base 1.20.1) - with Native
> Objective C Exceptions enabled, on openSUSE 11.2 (gcc version 4.4.1).
>
> The GWorkspace build fails because the configure script in
> GWMetadata/gmds does not detect the presence of PDFKit, even though
> PDFKit is actually present.

<snip>

> I think this error comes from NSException.h, which contains:
>
> #import       <GNUstepBase/GSConfig.h>
>
> #if     defined(_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS)
> #define USER_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS       1
> #else
> #define USER_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS       0
> #endif
> #if     BASE_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS != USER_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS
> #error  The current setting for native-objc-exceptions does not match
> #that of gnustep-base ... please correct this.
> #endif
>

> GNUstepBase/GSConfig.h has:
>
> #define BASE_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS     1
>
> which is, I think, correct, and the _NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS flag is
> set in usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/common.make:
>
> OBJCFLAGS += -fexceptions -fobjc-exceptions
> -D_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS
>
> so one would expect the test in NSException.h to succeed - except
> that the OBJCFLAGS do not appear to be used for the test compilation
> shown in the above config.log.

Agreed.

The configure script test for PDFKit (GWMetadata/gmds/aclocal.m4) is passing
the wrong flags ...looking at it, it's clearly written for an ancient version
of gnustep and just covers the options that were common some years ago.  I have
made an attempt at altering it to use the correct flags (by using
gnustep-config to provide the flags) in svn trunk, but I don't have PDFKit to
test it.