2010/10/9 Scott Furry <scott.wl.fu...@gmail.com>:
> And IMO that is the point. Distributions will only incorporate into the
> releases what /they feel/ is appropriate.
And is that wrong? If you want "the last" on your computer "as soon as
possible", then you need to change to a rolling release distro...
There is a reason because there are so many distros out there: they
are different. If you need to upgrade the very second there is a new
version of software X then you need a bleeding edge distro, but don't
protest when your system dies after an ordinary update. If you want to
be safe then use a conservative distro that do not change package
versions on its life cycle, but don't protest if it is outdated. It is
your choice.
That's why I like openSUSE so much: in its core, it is a solid distro
but if you feel adventurous you only need to enable the proper repo
and you'll be "updated" on _that_ component, without risking the whole
system.