2010/10/9 Scott Furry <scott.wl.fu...@gmail.com>:
> -----------------------
>
> This survey is to gauge the views of the LibreOffice community on the
> install/update method of LibreOffice. Please voice your opinion so that
> these considerations may be taken into account when the LibreOffice method
> of install/update is studied by the developer team. Please *bottom-post*
> your opinions.
I use mainly Linux: openSUSE 11.2 64 bits at the moment.

> How do you expect LibreOffice to be updated?
I think the method used by OOo (tar.gz files with rpms or debs) is Ok.

> How do you Install/Update LibreOffice?
Being a beta, I uncompressed the rpms (see below)

> What do you expect when Installing/Updating LibreOffice?
No dependencies conflicts ;)

> Other programs have separate updating programs (iTunes being an example), if
> it was technically feasible, would having a separate install program for
> LibreOffice (with updating features) be useful to you?
No. I think it could be useful on windows systems, but on Linux... no.

> Would having a download and update site, as well as a Unix|Linux package
> repository site, be of value to you?
I don't think a single rpm repository will work for every rpm distro
so... download site, yes, repository, no: that's distro work.

How to "install" LibO:

1- Unpack the tar.gz file with the rpms

2- Create a folder inside the RPMS folder

3- Open a terminal on that folder

4- Run this command:
for i in ../l*.rpm; do rpm2cpio $i | cpio -id; done
A folder called /opt is created with the complete install on it.

5- on /your_custom_install_path/opt/libreoffice3/program you can find
the scripts to launch the program.

6- it is possible to edit the file bootstraprc to change the user
profile folder destination (UserInstallation variable: $ORIGIN will
use the "install" folder).

7- test

8- report bugs

Something similar can be done with debs, but I'm from a rpm world ;)