On 10/18/2010 1:16 AM, James Wilde wrote:
On Oct 16, 2010, at 00:50 , Barbara Duprey wrote:

<...>
It is often not clear whether or not the OP is subscribed -- many can't/won't look at the
full headers or filter on them, and sometimes they join the discussion later, when the
header is not available. For somebody who really has an interest in the "care and
feeding" of currently unsubscribed users, so they can eventually be brought into the
community, or at least be happy with the software, this means that the OP may well be
dissatisfied. They don't get answers, and assume we don't care.

An additional complication here is that, as far as I have been able to see by
going through the headers of messages I have approved, there is no easy way to
see that these headers have been moderated as there is on the OOo list.  Almost
the only thing I see is that my email address, albeit a little garbled, is
included with a reference to the envelope (I don't remember the exact wording,
and don't have an example in front of me, so I can't be more specific.)   there
is no easy filter to apply.  Presumably the result of us using a different list
mailer from the OOo one.

Does this mean you're a (the?) moderator for this list? Not having that Delivered-To header definitely does complicate things! I'm amazed that anybody is posting here unsubscribed at this point, I'd expect the early users here to have more awareness of the value of subscribing.

 From this point of view it would be better if the unsubscribed OP's address
were added to the reply-to line, but I can't see that the moderator can do
this, since (s)he merely clicks on a link.  Plus I, at least, have started
sending a mail to the OP of messages I moderate, suggesting that they
subscribe.  I assume other mods do this, too.

Even if the Reply=To were modified, wouldn't the inclusion of the OP on the messages fall apart as soon as somebody didn't use Reply All? I, for one, would have to be seriously retrained! I still feel that the most profitable approach is referring the OP to an archive with Reply capability, but this is a subject for more discussion elsewhere. Until/unless we get a wiki up, feel free to use my e-mail; I'll try to include everybody who lets me know they're interested.

//James

--
E-mail to discuss+h...@documentfoundation.org for instructions on how to