On 12/02/2010 11:57 AM, BRM wrote:
> [...]

:-) All of my systems, with the exception of my laptop, came from
organisations (schools, businesses, etc) that were told that they needed
to upgrade their hardware to run the latest & greatest WinXYZ OS. A
little cleanup, add some memory & on occasion a larger hard drive, load
linux, done. My old "obsoletes" run just fine & in many cases run
considerably better than out-of-the-box low level system. Most are
2.4Ghz/1-4Gib. Only issue is that the price of old memory can sometimes
be prohibitive.

As for shipping to 3rd world countries... I take at least 2-3 recycled
systems each year & give them to local students/families that can't
afford a system. Of course I also include OOo & will include LO once
stable. No need to ship to 3rd world countries... there are plenty of
kids/families/senior centers, etc., (and I live in a pretty wealthy
area) local that are happy to get them.