2010/12/5 Gérard Fargeot <gerard.farg...@orange.fr>:
> You are dreaming.
>
> In OOo we have so many versions as "distro", LibO is taking the same road.
> Each distro (each dev.) want his own built.
> We are not able to have 1 same product and you want an association with
> others suite...
>
> This is the big problem of open source.
>
> Gérard

Not sure if this is a big problem or not... I tend to think
"proliferation" in FOSS world is a big *solution*: there are more
opportunities for new ideas... And all FOSS ideas can be reused.
But yes, IMO the idea to merge all those project it's only a dream...
or a nightmare: how will you convince the GTK programmers to learn Qt
(or vice-versa)? How will you manage to merge a text oriented app like
Writer with a frame oriented app like kword? How will you convince
users of abiword, that only need basic features, to load a full
featured (and resource hungry) word processor with all the features of
Writer and kword? How...?
There are lots of people that will never contribute to a GTK (or Qt)
project because they do not know how GTK (or Qt) works. And that's
perfectly fine: it is called freedom of choice.
If you replace a defacto proprietary monopoly with a defacto
opensource monopoly, you'll still have a defacto monopoly... and
that's not good.

Ricardo