A possible compromise???: move all (I mean ALL) non native formats to
the Export menu and let save/save as for the native formats only.
Also, disable the possibility to change the default format for saving
documents: in my experience on forums, many problems are fixed when
you explain users that it is not good idea to use ms formats to
_store_ files, that they need to use ODF to store and export only when
needed.