> Allen Pulsifer wrote:
> I do not agree with your conclusion that the Apache OpenOffice project
> is a competing project.  You simply chose to view it that way.

> Simon Phipps wrote:
> The main proposer of the project, Rob Weir of IBM, clearly stated his
intent for it to be
> a competing project - he even accused me of being potentially in breach of
anti-trust
> law on the Apache list[1], and has just re-asserted his view on his
blog[2]. So while many
> of us had hoped for a collaborative approach, there are powerful forces
who don't want that.

Hello Simon,

The donation of the OpenOffice code, trademark and domain were made to the
Apache Foundation, not to IBM or to Rob Weir.  Rob Weir is only one of many
people who are now members of the project at Apache.  As the board members
of the Apache Foundation made it clear, those members will have the primary
responsibility for determining the direction of the project, not IBM or Rob
Weir.  I happen to be one of those persons, and as a member, I have the same
voice as Rob Weir.  That means the same voice in determining what goes on
the openoffice.org website, how the openoffice.org trademark is used, and
whether the project direction is collaborative or competitive.  As an
experienced person in the open source world, I would think you know by now
that it is a lot easier to influence a project when have a seat at the table
and are working from the inside rather of the outside.  You could have also
been one of those persons with a seat at the table, and together, we would
have had twice the voice as Rob Weir.  Every other member of this community
could have also joined, and that would have been an overwhelming voice.
Again, a lost opportunity.

Allen