Hi all,

We’re using LibreOffice (since v2.x up to 4.0 beta) inside our product
LetterSketch, which was started 7 years ago.

LetterSketch is a document authoring tool with which authors can create
documents and extend it with conditions, loops, variables, sub documents and
other ornaments.

Finally this template gets compiled to an internal format and finally it can be
generated on a server in high volume by feeding it data in XML format.

Now we got our biggest implementation up to date, a major European bank. And
they need to create pretty complex document structures, containing multiple
sub-documents.

And here we reached the limits of the OpenDocument format, or at least the
LibreOffice/OpenOffice internal object representation.

At the customer we created a template/document containing 113 pages, built up
with plain text, various objects like comments and frames, and dozens of
sub-documents and where it takes some 10-20 minutes to just open the template.

We finally pinpointed the problem.

When we just take the top-level odt file, without resolving any of the
sub-documents, LibreOffice needs 1 minute at 100% CPU(intel i5 CPU) and 500 MB
of memory (!!!) for this document alone.
So when we also start resolving the sub-documents, LibreOffice goes up to 1.8
GB of memory and then just crashes or disappears or freezes, there seems to be
some kind of invisible ceiling.

Closing the document takes another 1-2 minutes and some additional memory is
needed!

When saving the main document to the Word (.doc) format and then opening it in
Word, MS Word only needs some 30 MB of memory to visualize this SAME document.

Please find attached the concerning (main) document.

Is there any kind of suggestion you can give us to overcome this
problem/limitation, since this is going to be a major showstopper for our
project.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

With kind regards,

Giorgio Migliaccio