Hello Tim,

On 20 décembre 2014 21:08:46 CET, Timofonic <timofo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I think we (users) sometimes fail to connect with developers' mindset.
>
>Due to our lack of technical knowledge >and often a lack of discipline,
>our feedback isn't enough interesting for >them and we sometimes feel
>quite ignored.

I believe it is important to stress that you do not have to be a developer to
be a LibreOffice contributor and TDF member. I am not  a developer and there
are many non technical areas for users to engage in. All it takes is some
moderate effort.

>In the end, we the users try (emphasis here, we know
>what we want but how how we want it and commonly fail to explain it
>properly) to explain our needs and what we think it should be improved
>from a different POV.

Keep in mind that what users want are many different things , and sometimes
they are contradictory.

>I tried to explain my education-related issues and needs, such as
>inserting formulas in a Libreoffice Writer document (I find it needs to
>support boolean stuff like xor symbols >and some other improvements).

I have not read about your needs on LibreOffice but I do not think your needs
are equally shared by every other user.

>know there's limited resources, but I think maybe corporate needs are
>becoming too heavy and other areas like education are underrated.

What makes you think that?

>What
>about a lot more non-profit organizations becoming part of BoD?

You mean our AdvisoryBoard? We are open :-)

>I also had some weird "bugs" (or unintended software behavior) when
>writing large texts, but I often forget to note them (and unable to
>explain a way to reproduce it) because >I'm in a hurry and was lazy too.
>
>Maybe different specific associations should be part of BoD and user
>feedback be taken more seriously in a less marketeer way but more
>scientific and social.

Actually we try to be really serious with user feedback. You seem to think that
we somehow go away with marketing sound bytes (as a marketing contributor
should I feel flattered?) and that corporate greed is slowly taking over. I for
one would hate to have TDF being some sort of storefront for businesses making
their bucks on individual users. In reality numbers tell a completely different
story: TDF budget relies for about a seventh on corporate donations and this
share used to be much more important in the past. Individual donors or small
businesses are our the bulk of the donations.

However, there's still this ongoing lack of understanding coming from some
users about what TDF does and is. We are nothing without volunteers. Volunteers
can be users but they are contributors. They are not customers nor people who
feel entitled to give their opinion against, well, nothing.  Volunteers are not
always developers, far from that. But volunteers donate time and effort. We do
not work without them. If you (I may be wrong) never filed a bug report, helped
on the documentation, or on our user interface design, on quality assurance, on
marketing, etc. Then your voice will not get heard and you may end up with the
feeling that things just work without your input. But then this works just like
many other things in life.

Cheers,

Charles.