One would think you could also accomplish it system wide with launchd. There is a program called 'Lingon' (or something) that can assist you in making launchd items

Brian

Bruce Stephens wrote:
The easiest way would be to distribute an alias to their desktops
that simply points to /Applications/startauthoxy. If you email the
alias with a nice large icon, then the students will use it!!!

An alias of /Applications/startauthoxy in /Library/startupItems should
work as well.

The only other way would be with the use of a PAC file
that starts /Applications/startauthoxy
or when installing OSX Tiger on EACH system,install a small patch in
the /etc/rc file that does the same.

The PAC file is probably the easiest but you still have
to modify everyones...
SystemPreferences->Network->Proxies->Manually/Use PAC File
settings.

Not sure if you can start specific Applications using a PAC file

Cheers,
Bruce.

Carl Williams wrote:
Thanks, Bruce, but I need a good way to add that startup item as a Login for each user - there may be up to 1200! I really don't want to have to go to Accounts/Login items for 1200 individual users to add startAuthoxy. I was thinking along the lines of adding a StartupItems folder to System/Library/User Templates/English.lproj/Library and putting an alias of startAuthoxy in there, but that doesn't work.

Maybe I can add a Login script for whenever a new user is created, but don't know how this might be done either.

Carl.