>AOL/Microsoft-Hotmail Preventing Delivery of Truthout Communications
>http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/091307Z.shtml
>___

This has been much discussed on Farber's list. I attach three recent responses:

Several points in no particular order.

1. If two large ISPs independently begin blocking mail from
a given domain/IP address/network block/etc., then it's usually
a pretty good sign that there is an issue with the mail source.

2. AOL has a responsive and clueful postmaster team, and provides
pointers to contact information for it in reject notices issued
to refused SMTP traffic.  Has anyone from Truthout used those contacts
to find out what their view of the issue is?

3. Truthout's listed contacts for its domain don't work: one apparently
goes directly to Truthout's own mail server(s) and is refused with a
"user unknown" error; a message to the other has been enqueued for
several days awaiting receipt by the destination mail server.  A message
to the Truthout postmaster address (mandatory per RFC 2821 for all
domains that send or receive mail) was rejected when sent from my
own account, and *possibly* accepted when sent from my own postmaster
address -- but no response yet.

The point being that domains which make it hard for people to tell them
early on that they may have problems may find that those problems
escalate
considerably before they finally become aware of them.

4. The socially-engineered DoS attack suggested by Adam would probably
work in some circumstances.  But it shouldn't work with a
sufficiently-clued
ISP and a sufficently-clued mailer: the ISP should be able to detect
a flood of fabricated abuse reports, and the mailer should be able to
produce
proof-of-subscription...which in turn can be correlated against the
ISP's own outgoing mail logs.  That is, if [EMAIL PROTECTED] signed
up for the [EMAIL PROTECTED], then example.com
should have at some point emitted a confirmation request (noted in
aol.com's logs) and [EMAIL PROTECTED] should have responded to it (also
noted in aol.com's logs).  This won't work perfectly of course --
log retention is one question, and confirmation-via-individual-URL
is another.  But the abuse staff at any ISP should long since be
aware of the existence of "joe jobs" (as variants on this are called)
and should be suspicious of any abuse case where the evidence is
entirely too neatly arranged.  Doubly so if example.com seems to
have been doing everything "right" in the past.

5. Brett's right about MoveOn (which has been blocked here for
several years, not because of political agenda, but because of
spamming issues).  But the same could be said of organizations
all over the political spectrum: a cursory check of the configuration
here shows domains belonging to both major US parties, as well as
some religious-oriented domains, lobbying groups, individual
politicians,
etc., all blocked for spamming.  I don't wish to speak for anyone
else in
this thread, but I think most of us find ourselves far too busy blocking
spammers to even begin to think about the onerous and never-ending task
of blocking every organization whose political/social/economic views
we personally happen to disagree with.  (Heh...I'll leave that to the
censorware vendors, whose affiliations and funding have already been
explored at great length by others.)

---Rsk

----------------------------
While I don't work at AOL anymore, I did run the anti-spam team for many
years and worked on the email platform for almost a decade. I can tell
you that from time to time we had a group complain that we were blocking
their mail without proper cause. In most cases we would provide the data
to show the organization why they were having issues. Most of the time
it was a combination of complaints about their mail (REPORT SPAM from
members) along with an abnormally high rate of bounced mail
(non-deliverable addresses). And in most cases the organization would
fix the issue once we got them signed up for a feedback loop which would
allow them to see their complaints and address the cause.

In all of my years at AOL, I can tell you that AOL never intentionally
blocked an organization for their political views. I would not have
allowed it. But we did block some of these political groups along the
way...

I remember AOL automatically blocked the DNC and RNC repeatedly in
election years for bad complaint rates and high bounce rates. Eventually
these groups even told us that they bought "lists of likely voters" and
emailed them. And as such, complaint rates and bounces were off the
charts. And I remember having blocking issues with Moveon.org as well,
at least once. These were not issues with the organization and what they
stood for. The issues were due to mailing practices and the resulting
poor statistics that the organizations had in our spam control systems.

Over the years we heard lots of excuses for why an inherently political
organization should never be blocked and should always have their mail
delivered, but we always felt that our thresholds should apply equally
to everyone. Unlike some ISPs, AOL always used objective statistics to
block or filter mail. We found we could not reliably do it any other
way. And unlike other ISPs, AOL is fairly easy to get on the phone and
we were always willing to investigate the possibility of special
circumstances affecting our stats - like people trying to game the
system, etc. And we did investigations into these claims many times a
year.

For example, I remember being told by a number of political
organizations that their spam complaint numbers were up because people
were intentionally signing up for the newsletters and then complaining
to make a political statement against the organization and hopefully get
their mail blocked. But we found that this was not the case and in fact
that the list management policies and poorly run unconfirmed optin forms
were to blame in many cases. In other cases, we found that the "sign up
your friend" system was not working to their benefit. After suggesting
to these organizations that there may be reasons (within their control)
for their poor stats and high bounce rates, many times they would
publish nasty "call to arms" to get their community up in arms and put
pressure on AOL. Sometimes this worked. Sometimes it didn't.

I am not sure what the story is with the TruthOut.org story as I don't
work at AOL anymore. But seeing that not one, but two ISPs are blocking
them makes me consider that something else may be at play other than the
ultra-conservative corporate thieves at AOL and MSFT working together
late into the night, sharing IP block lists for Truthout.org's outbound
servers.

(For my part, I did pass along the original post on this list to the
appropriate people at AOL and I can only assume they are aware of the
issue and working it...business as usual)

Carl Hutzler

http://carlhutzler.com/blog/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

out of curiousity.  Here's the communication history thus far:

Received confirmation request email (active confirmation required,
good for them) and clicked link.

Received "you're on the list now" email.  Not strictly necessary, but
fine.

their delivery problems as added incentive for those who are
receiving the emails to contribute.  Okay...reasonable enough, lemons
and lemonade and what-have-you.

Received topical update email.  Read it, interesting, probably
wouldn't have been aware of the issue otherwise.  Good.

Received topical update email.  Read it, less interesting...eh, still
happy enough to have read it.

Received topical update email.  Scanned it, getting a little tired of
the emails now.

Received "urgent donations appeal" email, noting their delivery
problems as added incentive for those who are receiving the emails to
contribute.  Yes, I know, I read yesterday's email, thanks.

Received topical update email.  Looked at subject line, went to watch
Red Dwarf season three instead of reading.

So in less than 48 hours I've received six emails from truthout,
including two donation requests.  Is there a problem with that?  Yes
and no.

I signed up for the list, so I personally wouldn't say that truthout
is spamming me, but they did violate one of the basic rules of email
communication:  SET EXPECTATIONS.
When I subscribed, I had--right or wrong--visions of some sort of
newsletter dancing in my head, weekly or perhaps (at most) daily
emails.  It never occurred to me that I might get three or four
emails per day from truthout, and they did nothing to manage my
expectations.
If their signup page had said "you'll receive update emails
throughout the day," I would have known what I was getting myself
into up front.  Again, whether it's right or wrong, I can very easily
see someone clicking that "mark as spam" button somewhere around
email four or five, rather than scrolling all the way to the bottom
of the message and clicking the mailto link to unsubscribe.

As a side issue, truthout doesn't even offer any sort of daily digest
option for email, so my choices are drinking from the firehose or
unsubscribing, and I know which way I'm leaning right now.  For an
organization that seems to depend so heavily on email, it seems to me
like truthout is taking a surprisingly crude approach to working with
email.

- Whit

**
W.B. McNamara