Julius Lucks wrote:

> The app throws up about 10 or so of these divs and what I see is the
> textareas appear and then blip out of existence.

That could make it slow. You're expecting it to perform '10 or so
simultaneous operations locally. Hide works (as I understand), by first
switching the display to block/all/whatever and then to none. So if it's
already hidden, it'll show, and then hide it.

It seems to me that the blips could be due to slow loading of the
javascript.
</script>

This depends on how big your page is. Either way, if it takes a long time
for the page to load, then it's a server issue. Once the page is loaded,
then the JS will run.

Julius Lucks wrote:

> Is there a better way to hide these, or could this be a hardware issue (I
> am running the app on a mac mini in my apartement so I neither have server
> power or bandwidth - however this happens even if I am the only one using
> the app)?

Well, as long as it's downloading the JS files quickly enough, then it's a
local issue as things like hide would be done on the localside.

Julius Lucks wrote:

> Could I have too much 'other document ready code' in there that could be
> causing the slow loading?

Sure. Why not. If you stick 3mb of operations in the document.ready, then
you'll struggle. Try breaking it down a little.