Well, I removed some code that was creating the Flash-based MP3 player and
the erratic behavior on IE went away. The other site that I had this
problem with had Flash as well, and in both sites I was using the
SWFObject JavaScript library according to the instructions, by creating a
DIV to receive the Flash movie, and immediately following that a SCRIPT
block that loads the movie into the DIV. If I put this code in a
$(document).ready(...), the problem goes away. However, doing this results
in the DIV's no-Flash placeholder content displaying for a second before
being replaced with the SWF, which isn't really desirable.

I don't know at this point if it's specifically SWFObject+JQuery, or if
it's due to the general technique of inline SCRIPT blocks that manipulate
the document.

Thanks for the help,
Dave