Hey I've gone through the trouble already once before of getting an
acurate reading of the x and y coordinates of an element
cross-browser. I even wrote all the unit tests. It is painful! Anyways
it is specific to prototype for now but could easily be optimized and
convered to be jQuery-like. I don't really have the time as of right
now, so this code is open to anyone that would like to convert it to a
plugin.

http://www.brandonaaron.net/articles/2006/08/10/prototype-extensions-element-getoffset

Brandon