> of course the data option is easiest but will break validation
> the class works too, but what if you define a css class called some or
> even data?

I don't follow. The "class" technique doesn't break existing
addClass/removeClass functionality - everything works as you might
expect.

> script is the most verbose but will work every time and with
> type="application/json" it sure looks like the best solution.

Yep - which is why I provide all three alternatives. It's interesting
how everyone likes their own particular style. Thankfully it isn't
that much harder to accommodate any one technique over another.

--John