Many thanks to Stefan for helping me with this off list.

If anyone else wants to get this working with a single external file, so
your header has something like this in it:

<script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="interface.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="ScrollToAnchors.js"></script>

ScrollToAnchors.js should contain the following:

$(document).ready(
   function()
   {
      $(document).ScrollToAnchors(630);
   }
);

Change the ScrollToAnchors() value to whatever you like.  Higher number ->
slower scrolling.

I have a problem with it though.  Scrolling between anchors on the same page
works perfectly, but when trying to go to another page, the links don't work
at all!  The Top of Page and Bottom of Page links on
http://exhibitq.com/talk/comments.php?DiscussionID=3&page=1 this page  work
as expected, but if I try clicking on any of  http://exhibitq.com/talk/ the
discussion links on the main discussions page  nothing happens!

I realise that I could specify exactly which anchors I would like the plugin
to work for, but I would rather it would just work as expected by default.
What would I need to change to get these links to other pages to work
properly?

P.S. please feel free to sign up to the forums if you want to test things
out, it's just a general testing zone for me.