Thanks for all your replies. Looks like everyone settled on a similar
solution using before() or after() in combination with remove().

Yep, a replace() function would be nice.
Shane - Just in case you don't already know about it, wrapInner() is
available as a plugin at http://motherrussia.polyester.se/jquery/wrapinner/
- Perhaps you are already using it.
I agree, these two would be good in the core.

Cheers all,
George