Do you mean the $( 'selector', context)? By default $() searches the
document, the document is the context. If you add a second argument
that is a DOM element or a jQuery object then they become the context,
and it searches "inside" them.

For more info I suggest:

    http://docs.jquery.com/Core

Or Visual jQuery: