I think this is due to the fact that no context is passed in to the
.load() callback, in that manner. I think doing something like this
would work:

$(document).ready(function(){
       $("p").each(function(){
               $(this).load("ajax.php", function(){
                       $("a",this).click(function(){
                               alert("The link is overridden.");
                               return false;

That way, only the links directly within the paragraph will be overridden.

--John