I recently added image preloading (the previous and next images start to load
while viewing the current image) to  http://www.projectatomic.com/litebox
jQuery Litebox , which should help with reduce delays. You could try adding
the setInterval to the onload event in the $.litebox.resize() method. I also
cleaned up the code to enable easier access to properties, you could try
something like:

if (this.i+1 < this.g.length) { setInterval(....

That might stop the last image from continually clicking (maybe) I too am
also trying to be lazy