This was discussed a week or two ago. There's a ticket open on it with
at patch to fix it.

    http://dev.jquery.com/ticket/143

Basically it means that if you want to select #item:x you have to
construct the selector like this:

    $( "#item\\:x" )

The double slashes are there because \: in a JavaScript string would
just result in "#item:x".

Karl Rudd