On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 02:47:24PM -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:
> 3. An understanding that our intent is to make a "friendly fork" - a fork
>    characterized by bi-directional patch sharing and the goal of maintaining
>    compatibility. At the same time, our fork becomes a "second supplier" of
>    Wave technology, viable on its own, and with an independent design effort.

Why would we do this?

Answering "because we can" doesn't seem like a very good answer.

Google have made it pretty clear that most of this technology is going to be
open and free. I think that's probably enough. Yahoo are about to donate a proxy
server to the ASF. Should we fork it, because we can? Should we fork Laconica?

What logic is there behind forking an existing free software project? I know
that heterogeneous environments are generally good, but forking some software
just because we can fork some software seems rather bonkers.

Best,