Hi Everyone,

I recently put up a blog post discussing the issue of SaaS software
to handle the data for political campaigns and organizations and the
question of data ownership titled "Empowering Volunteers Through Data
Portability."  Since the post was inspired by one of Bradley Kuhn's
presentations on the dangers of proprietary SaaS, I decided to let
him know about the post.  He recommended I join this list and post a
link to the blog post to start a discussion, so here it is:

        http://voteruniverse.com/Members/jlantz/blog/empowering-volunteers-
through-data-portability

We're already working on the first part, an AGPL licensed web
application to manage campaign data.  Since we're currently rushing
to get our first release out, the data portability concept is a bit
on the back burner for the next month or two, but after that I would
like to start pushing the concept that volunteer political activists
and organizers ought to have a right to the data they collect on a
campaign's behalf.  I feel strongly this is important to
representative democracy.  Please let me know any thoughts, ideas, or
criticisms you have to the idea presented in the blog post.  I would
really like to hit the ground running with this advocacy.

Aside from that, I am very excited to take part in the general
discussions here.

Thanks,
Jason Lantz