Hi,

thanks for all the good input so far. I have in fact contacted the
author of the original templates and asked for a different licensing.

> > I don't know why the code and "media" (or everything but the media, ie
> > images in this case), couldn't be licensed separately, under AGPL and
> > CC BY respectively.
>
> It can be generally, but we've found in some of these cases with
> web templating engines that there are often not bright lines between the
> two.

that is my understanding, too. I think modern web applications are very
special in this regard, as they consist of server-side as well as
client-side code, HTML, CSS and images. And it really is the sum of all
those components that make up the application.

> > Well, /if/ CC BY is not AGPL-incompatible, then you could just use
>
> I did in fact assume that CC-BY-SA was in use and I also assumed it's
> AGPLv3-incompatible.  It's indeed possible that a simple CC-By is
> AGPLv3-compatible, but a careful analysis would be needed.

It is indeed CC-By, which is also seen by many people who are far
smarter than I am as incompatible with (A)GPL.

Kind regards

David