I'm curious why you would:

a) Think ALA readers don't represent a representative sample of the
world's Web designers
b) Assume that all 33,000 of the respondents were only ALA readers–do
we know how many respondants are regular, occasional, or non-readers
of ALA?
c) Think there is already a bias at the outset–I'm curious which bias
you're speaking of? That they're responding to a survey constructed
by ALA, or another bias?

True random sampling for research is realistically non-existent. A
goal of good research should be to try and reduce that bias as much
as possible, or at least reduce it to an acceptable level.

On Oct 20, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Steve Baty wrote:

> [...] do ALA readers provide a representative sample of the world's
> Web designers the short answer is: almost certainly not. They did
> get 33,000 responses (which is a decent number), but doesn't change
> the fact that you already have one bias in place at the outset.
>
> So, the question to ask is: with respect to the questions being
> asked, is there any reason to believe ALA readers would answer
> differently to non ALA readers.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]