Interesting question. I've never altered my stated role for the
purpose of a test; I think it's because I've only run tests on
systems that someone else designed. I can certainly see where it
would be best to not reveal that information, or at least mitigate
the potential for the outcome you describe.

On this topic, however, I think it's important to emphasize to
participants that their opinion is important - no matter what it is.
Something like "You can do or say no wrong today. You won't hurt my
feelings, you won't waste anyone's time, and you won't cost the
company any money. We're asking people what they think because we
want to improve the product, and your honesty is critical to that
process."

Even with that, though, you'd be surprised how often users apologize
for offering constructive criticism. Must have something to do with
level 3 of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=22197