Johan said:

In a big company (more than 15.000 employees) with lots of departments,
> divisions and sections, where do you put the usability team? In the
> marketing department or IT-department or customer care or customer
> experience or R&D or ... ?

I'm not sure I understand why you think it should be a part of something
else rather than it's own thing. Can you explain? In my experience, UX has a
role in all of these things, not just one or the other.

=====

Adrian said:"Does it actually help to have a central user experience group,
or is
it better to push the people into individual projects?"

Both, I think. A centralized team helps to establish and maintain
cross-product standards and a unified front (and so on), but within that
team, people should "own" individual projects. Those people can even be
embedded into those project teams, as long as they regularly return to home
base to integrate their work into the centralized team's standards
documentation and such.

-r-