What you describe is pretty much the norm for me.  Technology has always
affected the design, and it seems your situation is pretty typical, in my
experience.  When given a choice and no external pressure, developers will
use the technology that makes their lives easiest, and everything (bar none,
except salary decreases) flows from that one decision.  I've been one, so
that was my mindset, then.

I'm doing something very similar right now, except I have the dubious honor
of being able to design the whole application, and pre-determine the
architecture (technology) we'll be using.  I hope to _blank_ I won't end up
coding the whole thing, too, but it's an extremely difficult place to be,
regardless.  I'm designing just like you are, disregarding the perceived
technical limits in favor of features that optimize our main processes.  On
the other hand, I have to make sure whatever architecture we use will allow
for all of the usable components we need.  To that end, I'm planning to use
an open source portal platform with portlets that can take various
technologies (including plain HTML, Ajax, Java, NetBeans or JRuby).  That
way, whichever developer we hire for this thing will be able to choose from
a range of technologies, without drastically affecting the design.

I know very little about Flex, or Silverlight, or some of the "hotter"
products on the market...my critical path is finding someone with good basic
development skills, who can work with me to grow into these new areas as
they mature.  I fully realize whoever I hire is going to have very strong
opinions one way or the other.

In a perfect world, the technology should have no effect on the design.  In
the real world, it does.  Don't think you can change that, but you could
have designed your system to the constraints of a platform you know is up to
the task, and then tell the developers they have to use that technology.
It's probably too late for that (and I don't think you'd get a word in
afterwards, with all the laughing and giggling going on).  Perhaps the best
you can do now is counter their "we can't do that because it's impossible"
arguments with some research on your own, proving the opposite.  If you
provide code examples showing exactly what you want, you might win some
friends quickly (assuming they're normal and appreciate people who pitch
in).

One of the caveats I would add...I have noticed over the years that a good
design sometimes must change/conform to *what users expect of that
technology*.  Even though something is technically possible in a certain
medium, that doesn't mean you should violate what users expect from that
technology for your design vision.  I'm thinking of modal web page windows,
which prevent you clicking the screen behind them.  Not that you should
never use them, but I've never seen a good reason to, and have never found
users in a study who appreciated them.

Bryan
http://www.bryanminihan.com