On Nov 27, 2007, at 3:23 PM, Robert Hoekman, Jr. wrote:

> I suppose you could argue that these conversations were "research",
> but they really weren't. They didn't lead me to figuring out how the
> site should work, they just led to the idea.

And it is. Just because you didn't intend to go there doing research
for a possible product, doesn't mean that's not what ended up
happening. Research is a discovery process. There are countless
accidental products that happened (e.g. PostIt Notes, Equal), but
those still happened in the process of trial, error, and discovery for
something else. Was a PostIt Note the original intent? Nope, but
someone created a not-very-sticky-glue that was "a failure" for their
original intent, but became useful for something else.

Accidents do happen, yes. And we can be "accidentally inspired" by
casual conversation. But you still discovered something that gave you
an idea for this new product/place/thing.

Research/discovery isn't always intentional.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]