> I feel like we do have choices Robert. There's UCD, under that
> umbrella are tons of tools, techniques etc at your disposal - no one
> is saying there is one way to conduct UCD.

Lots of people on this list have said similar things, but then many continue
beating the persona stick to death as thought it's the only sound solution.
It just gets so exhausting.

And yes, one could say that I'm only stressing myself out by arguing about
it all the time, but most of the time, I think it's a battle worth fighting.
UCD is simply unrealistic in a huge number of situations and we need to be
able to help the rest of the designers out there do effective work even when
they can't practice UCD the way we talk about it.

There's also usage centered
> design.

>From what I know, usage centered design isn't all that different than ACD,
so it's interesting that your bring that up. Has anyone here practiced usage
centered design? How does that process look? Does it involve personas? What
are the deliverables?

Or you can come up with ideas and design them based on your expertise
> as a designer and never ever do customer research. If your idea fails
> because you spent all your capital or resources developing a feature
> that no one uses or sees or understands anyway, that would be a shame.
> Bad UX can cripple the best product or service concept. UCD is a
> proven way to deliver high quality UX.

Proven only in certain situations, as practiced by certain people. It's not
fool-proof by any means.

What is it you feel is missing?

It's not that it's missing anything, it's that it *adds* a whole lot of
stuff that most teams just don't have time to deal with and is largely
unnecessary in many situations.

UCD - personas/scenarios in particular - work really well for consulting
firms and companies with money to burn. But personally, I have yet to work
with or for a company that has had the time, resources, or money to deal
with it. They want it now, and they want it great. At the root of what I
advocate is this simple fact.

All I want to do is find a method that helps people in those situations
instead of continuing to shove UCD and personas down everyone's throats when
it clearly cannot work in a huge percentage of projects.

-r-