Hi Robert,

If you are designing for yourself and by yourself, then you may not benefit
greatly from personae.

The primary benefit for building personae is in the research. If you were
designing a social networking site for say a unique culture in Africa (bear
with me) then I would think you would be either the wrong designer, or ill
advised to proceed without some understanding of social culture and practices
in the group. You would have do do some research. This is a drastic example,
but it serves to make a point. I managed an online project for Yellow Freight
in the mid 90's. We did discovery research with the 5 different target segments
and found that the word 'van' had three distinct definitions amongst them. We
would have never known this... it even confounded folks working within the
industry. The site would have been a disaster had we not uncovered that. We ALL
thought we knew the audience... and I can give you a hundred examples of that
from the last 12- 15 years.

The second most important benefit is the common target and goal for the design
team. If you are a team of one, this will be of little interest or concern. The
better those persona are flushed out, the more the language and purpose becomes
common amongst us. These personae also make great reference points when the
project constraints take a decided shift (as it does soo often when business,
marketing are involved... or when working agile).

No one here is saying that persona are the optimal, only or best tool. But they
are a good tool that we can all share. I want to ask, have you ever tried the
research, building and usage of personae with a design team? I still think you
might find it a valuable tool.

Mark