It appears to me that you are equating "transparent" with "conforms
to a set of known standards" and to me that makes no sense.

I see no inconsistency at all in doing something better than the norm
and building a "transparent" interaction.

I understand that you aren't disagreeing with the idea of the
"better" but I think letting the equivalence stand unchallenged is
dangerous. I have sat through way too many meetings regarding a
usability tested prototype that tested out much better than the norms
have, only to have some VP say "but that isn't the Best Practice." It
is not necessarily more transparent to use the same solution that has
been used before. In fact, I've sat through enough "Oh, thank God,
you made this easier" moments in usability testing that I pretty much
expect that the Standard is so because people stopped thinking about
how best to solve the problem and went for the established Best
Practice instead.

To my mind, usability is about making sure that you're asking the
right question (for example, how to do indicate a country in a form)
rather than the top of mind question (how do you order a drop down
list of countries) and the technology is changing so fast that the
best answer to that is going to change quickly as well.

Transparency is more nearly synonymous with highly learnable than it
is with standard. For example, the interface of a book is so
transparent we seldom think of it as having one, but the process of
learning to use it is quite extensive. It's highly learnable because
at each stage, the next stage and the end stage are readily
apparent....first you learn about book covers and then you find out
that they have contents which remain the same, and that the contents
are made obvious by the cover, so you don't bring Dad "Leo the Lion"
when you want him to read "Sam I Am" and then you match up pages with
words and memorize them and realize that somehow those words are
captured on the page...and so forth. It's very complex and it's
evolved to be completely transparent.

Okay...enough on that...

Katie

--