>On Dec 19, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Robert Hoekman, Jr. wrote:
>
>>  Ditto. I've had plenty of practice, but I'll never be half as good
>>  as a real
>>  visual designer.
>
>I've long hated the term "visual designer." It's really nothing more
>than a cop out in this field and I hope people will start to drop it
>one of these years.
>
>Practically speaking, anyone who designs interactive software or
>digital products needs to be good at the core basics of graphic
>design. No ands, ifs or buts about it. This is effectively type,
>color and layout. (Layout meaning general composition and the grid.)

And there you have the reason for the persistence of the term "visual
designer".

What do you mean by "Core basics" do you mean that I know what they
are or that I can combine them in the optimal -- or approximately
optimal -- fashion (the latter is what people generally mean). I can
tell you a typeface is illegible or too small or makes an element too
prominent. I can tell you that the colors are detracting from the
purpose rather than supporting it. I can tell you that the layout is
too busy, too complex, or too simple for the purpose. I can usefully
and accurately critique design. But (oooo! Look! a "but") if (with
the "if" right after the "but"!) you let me create the visual design,
you will regret it...and (so...there's the and!) you will end up with
an unattractive, mechanistically appropriate appearance. I recommend
against it.

I know *enough* about the issues involved in the visual side of
things that I can usefully interact with them and both give and
accept valid criticism and I know what I don't know and am not
qualified to critique. I know *enough* about the issues involved in
coding. I know *enough* about the issues of product management...and
so on. I expect that the team I will work with will be similarly
broad with a deep and complementary specialty and able to usefully
participate in the give and take and compromise that creates the
result - whatever that may be.

Katie
--

Katie Albers