My path is somewhat similar to Nick Q from earlier in the thread.

Start out as pre-med Biology major
Take a psych class and think it's super interesting
Switch to psych major w/ a slight focus on cognition and aging, intending to
end up as a geriatric psychiatrist
Work in a judgment and decision making research lab (Paradox of Choice is
old news)
Work in a medical/healthcare decision making lab, where I taught myself PHP
and built a (pretty decent for a noob) website for the program in addition
to the research work
Apply to med school
Get into med school
Realize I am more interested in creating tools to allow people to make
better decisions than practice medicine
Withdraw med school acceptance on last possible day... now what
Enter a master's HCI program
Decide that the focus on usability evaluation is less interesting to me than
design (no offense intended Jared)
Take the few design-y classes offered and read designer's blogs and books
voraciously
Graduate
Work for mental health agency designing their electronic medical record and
a personal health record targeted at people with severe mental illness