On 26 Jan 2008, at 16:41, David Malouf wrote:
[snip]
> Studio is a place without walls.
> Studio is a philosophy of open collaboration "w/o asking permission"
> Studio is public display of ongoing work (among designers)
> Studio has expert or master guidance
> Studio uses the artistic review process of "critique" as opposed to
> "evaluation".
> Studio is the presentation of multiple ideas in plain site, in
> progress.
> Studio is constantly sketching during all phases of design and
> development
> Studio is a big brainstorming bubble
>
> Evaluation: Send someone a sample of your work and they send you
> back a
> laundry list of what is wrong, why and if you are lucky how to
> improve it.
>
> Critique: is a real time review of designs, among peers (fellow
> designers),
> who not only evaluate (aka judge your designs), but most certainly
> begin a
> short process of co-designing. It is often expert led, but everyone is
> involved at all levels of critique and analysis and contribution.
> The goal
> is to give guidance, not to give answers (except where the
> designers come
> asking for explicit help. The other goal is to elicit further
> exploration by
> increasing cerebral participation.
[snip]

Y'know the first thing that struck me after reading that was that it
sounds *exactly* like the most effective and pleasant environments
that I've worked in.

The (possibly) interesting thing is that these weren't "design"
environments (in the sense most folk use the term here :-) They were
pure software development shops.

I don't think this isn't a design issue in of itself. Working in an
open collaborative manner with your peers, along with a sprinkling of
leaders in particular domains, is pretty much the best way to get a
group of folk to do or learn _anything_.

A lot of work in the agile software development world is creating
work environments that work that way.

> In conversations with my former head of Innovation & Design Studio
> here at
> Motorola Enterprise Mobility, he also had the same critique of the UX
> community-that our lack of formal studio education really puts us at a
> disadvantage.

I see the opposite problem with folk coming out of academia into
software development. They're trained to work by themselves. I'm
trying to build collaborative working environments.

Are you seeing the "studio" as just a learning environment, or a
working environment too?

Cheers,

Adrian