Well, ignoring the account blockage question for the moment: There
are exactly zero situations in which it's acceptable for a company to
dictate usernames and/or passwords for their employees on external
web sites. If you put your employees in a situation where the only
way they can reliably recall their necessary usernames and passwords
is by writing them down, they will write them down...and so much for
the security angle.

As far as the account blockage question, that may be acceptable in
certain situations, but only if there is immediately available 24/7
human backup at a toll-free number...and by that, I mean toll-free
where the employee is standing. Far too many companies still hold the
bizarre belief that "We have an 800 number,..." is an adequate
response to the need for a worldwide toll-free assistance...which
means that the assistance isn't available outside the US and Canada.

Waving your hands and applying the maximum number of mysterious, hard
to remember, magic words is not the same thing as providing security,
and that's what is happening in a situation like your girlfriend's.

So, my solution to these cases in general is to combine a
user-selected username, a user-selected password, and 24 hour free
access to help. It isn't perfect, but it has a much higher chance of
working to everyone's benefit than this system has.

Katie