Hi Jarod,

I'm Japanese user experience architect living in Tokyo. My opinion may
be helpful for you.

In Japan there are lots of original mobile web contents serviced by
mobile network operators such as NTT docomo, Softbank mobile, and au.
These mobile web contents are closed only for respective mobile
operator. Ordinary web browser such as IE and Safari cannot access to
the mobile contents. Only browsers which follow guideline provided by
those mobile network operators can access the contents. iPhone and
some Nokia's phone cannot access these mobile web contents and these
users have to give up using domestic mobile web contents.

Mobile phone are used in commuter train. Many people enjoy text
messaging till they arrive the destination. In the situation users
have to handle the phone by one hand. I'm not iPhone user so this is
not true, but iPhone requires two hand inputs. I think Japanese more
frequently use text messaging than mere calling. Phones which is not
manipulable by one hand are stressful.

Related to text messaging, Emoji (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji)
is really important for Japanese text messaging, especially for
teenagers. Mere text sentences are not sufficient to communicate their
feeling. Emoticon sometimes looks techie. Receivers who are not good
at technology do not care about iPhone and Nokia phone cannot use
Emoji, so iPhone users may give blunt impression to message receivers.

regards,
Hitoshi Enjoji