Well, my gut reaction is that -- at least for text-based content -- you're down to the content itself. I'm assuming here that you *are* dealing with news. If there are authors associated with the content, then generally you'll find they're associated with a certain type of content (some reporters write about sports, some about DC, some about war zones, etc.) and that gives you a top level way to sort. Then within the content you find keywords which can be associated with current events. Of course, this still means that you have an ongoing task of keeping those keyword lists up-to-date.

I would hope that the video has better metadata; I'd hate to think of someone watching hours of video just to sort it.

I hope there's a better way to do this, but that's all I can think of.

Katie Albers
Founder & Principal Consultant
FirstThought
User Experience Strategy & Project Management
310 356 7550
ka...@firstthought.com