This is something that I've run into before, and here are my thoughts on it.

1) to include business objectives in a persona is to build in the assumption that your customers care about your business. They do not.

2) The underlying reasoning -- to my mind -- to build a persona is to provide a "purer" means for understanding what your customers want and how they can be expected to behave. Including business assumptions shoots that down immediately.

3) If you build in business objectives, you are saying that your customers are the same as your stakeholders. If this is true, fine. Otherwise, forget it.

4) Why bother having personas at all if all they're really going to tell you is what you want to do? It seems a pointless exercise.

In 97% of all cases (and yes, I made that number up) your customers will have exactly zero interest in your business objectives. The goal of User Experience and Interaction Design is to develop methods whereby the customer goals will coincide with the business goals as naturally as possible, so that the customer doesn't get the sense that their behavior has to suit your business needs or that they have to "qualify" to give your business money.

The most valuable thing personas can do for you is to tell you that you're approaching the wrong market or the wrong customer or using the wrong method. If they can't deliver that information then they necessarily make it possible for you to go merrily on your way spending time, money and effort developing things that your marketing division can market to people who don't want them. Building in business objectives pre-supposes acceptance and compliance.

I think I've said that enough ways, now.

Katie

Katie Albers
Founder & Principal Consultant
FirstThought
User Experience Strategy & Project Management
310 356 7550
ka...@firstthought.com